ARTISTIC DIRECTOR/CONDUCTOR SEARCH ANNOUNCEMENT
Chor Amica - London, Ontario
Chor Amica is seeking a dynamic and inspiring Artistic Director/Conductor to succeed its retiring founding conductor. The ideal candidate will possess long-range vision, leadership, and a strong commitment to continuing the growth of the choir, together with conducting experience, musical talent, and the proven ability to produce a performance experience of the highest calibre.
ABOUT CHOR AMICA
Chor Amica (www.choramica.ca) is an auditioned mixed-voice chamber choir that seeks the highest quality of performance in traditional and contemporary choral repertoire. Formed in 2011 to serve as the resident choir for the biennial Bach Music Festival of Canada (www.bachfestival.ca), Chor Amica expanded its mandate in 2015 and, ever since, has presented an annual season of three or four concerts in the city of London. Recent performances have featured the music of J. S. Bach, Benjamin Britten, Ēriks Ešenvalds, and several Canadian composers, such as Leonard Enns and Mark Sirett. Chor Amica is a project-based choir, rehearsing intensively before each concert. Administrative duties are shared by the Artistic Director and the singers through a Board of Directors, Executive Committee, and other committees.
- Each year, plan with the Executive Committee the Chor Amica season of 4 concerts between September and May, selecting repertoire and guest soloists, with programs designed to challenge the singers, explore the rich choral tradition, and broaden the community appeal of the choir;
- Effective musical and personal leadership skills to audition and select members of the choir, assign seating, and select soloists;
- Thorough knowledge of the choral repertoire and styles and a proven interest in developing imaginative programming;
- Ability to motivate and elicit the best efforts of the singers to ensure the continued artistic growth of the choir;
- Proven application of effective conducting technique coupled with a podium presence that enables the choir to perform at the highest level and enhances the quality of the choir’s performance;
- Effective and efficient rehearsal approach which includes knowledge of vocal techniques, communication of overall interpretive goals, setting high standards for rehearsal preparation, and stressing regular attendance and commitment to a high level of performance.
GENERAL and ADMINISTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES/QUALIFICATIONS
- Collaborate and cooperate with the Chor Amica Board of Directors to manage the choir administration;
- Serve as an ex-officio and non-voting member of the Chor Amica Board of Directors;
- Work with the Chor Amica Board of Directors in developing an annual budget for the season and diligently strive to operate within the approved budget;
- Assist in securing funding towards annual budget through completion of grant applications;
- Support fundraising by actively participating in the promotional endeavours of Chor Amica;
- Improve the visibility of Chor Amica as an artistic resource within the London community;
- Previous adult choral conducting experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in music or equivalent experience
- Residence in Southwest Ontario
- Previous experience conducting instrumental ensembles in a choral context
- Keyboard skills
- Experience with fundraising and working with a Board of Directors
- Administrative experience
- Master’s degree in choral conducting or equivalent experience
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and will be discussed directly with all short-listed candidates.
All application packets are to be emailed to email@example.com.
and must contain the following:
- Personal letter of interest;
- Resume detailing education and experience including recent repertoire studied/rehearsed/performed;
- Two (2) professional references.
Recorded audio clips of select Chor Amica performances may be found at http://www.choramica.ca/media.html.
Past repertoire: list of previous seasons’ repertoire may be requested via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applications will be confidential. Application materials will not be returned. Your application packet must contain your name and all contact information including your mailing address, email address, and phone number. Candidates for further consideration will be contacted regarding the next part of the application procedure. Submit your application materials and correspondence to email@example.com. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, national origin, disability, or other legally protected characteristics.
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 6:00 P.M., April 30, 2018. ANY APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER THIS DATE WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.